Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2T in diesel oil

Thumbs up 2T in diesel oil

A must read, I have got really positive results ranging from lowered emissions, noise reduction to 2kmpl gain on highway, did I mention smooooothhhhhhhh........the OM616 which is undoubtedly the smoothest diesel ever built is now whisper quiet, bear in mind, I have no muffler on my vehicle.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=oil

Thats excellent stuff. Which brand of 2T oil have you used ?

I've been using Bardahl additive, but I guess I will settle for this cheaper more effective additive..

Cheers
    Talisker
    Roads ? No Thanks..!
    -- 1978 Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc
    -- 2007 Trax Gurkha 4x4
    -- 2005 Sonata 2.7L V6

Quote Originally Posted by talisker View Post
    Thats excellent stuff. Which brand of 2T oil have you used ?

I've been using Bardahl additive, but I guess I will settle for this cheaper more effective additive..

Cheers
    Talisker
    This actually negated my need to pay extra at the pump for additive diesel. Now I use 2T regularly and add ELF DALF every five thousand kilometer to keep the system clean. The 2T oil's benefit is that it not only lubricates but also cleans and increases the cetane rating of diesel and therefore the engine smoothness and fuel economy, now my vehicle wouldn't even knock on top gear at speeds below 40kmph, earlier on I would have to shift frequently even with additive diesel.

Don't go overboard as the study suggests, use basic 2T, I use the BP pouch at Rs.11, its 60ml which goes fine if you are filling the tank from empty with around 60 or more liters, otherwise use according to proportions.

Do post feedback, this is a good thing indeed, one thats cheap and makes genuine improvement and saves our pumps too. Unlike Europe, diesel in India is a dicey affair, you never know what you are filling up with.

Thumbs up

I went through the thread extensively and here are my observations

--> If your engine contains DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) then a very low ash content 2T semi-synthetic oil should be used. Since the Japanese standard JASO FC conforms to oils with low ash content, they can be used
    e.g in India - Servo 2T Premium (IndianOil) -- Semi-synthetic

--> If your engine doesnt have DPF, you could practically use any 2T oil.

--> 2T oil does not mix, instead forms a compound with diesel, which increases it's octane level and lubrication properties, which is otherwise lacking due to the lower and lower sulphur contents in modern diesel.

--> The recommended ratio is 1:200, so for a Gurkha tank of 63 litres it will be 310 ml. If the engine has more mileage or an old one, it is recommended to double or add approx 500 ml to begin with. After couple of full tank runs, start using the normal 1:200 ratio.

--> Note that, there is nothing wrong if you get the measurements wrong, as a diesel engine can practically run on just 2T oil

--> People have used it extensively and I could not get any negative comment on the thread, which is good for an idea which was provided back in 2007.

I've bought a Servo 4T Premium (which confirms to JASO FC standard) semi synthetic oil, and plan to use soon (300 ml to a tank). Will update this thread as I go along.

Cheers
    Talisker
    Roads ? No Thanks..!
    -- 2007 Trax Gurkha 4x4
    -- 2005 Sonata 2.7L V6

Your IDI OM616 turbo as well as mine don't have DPF so we have nothing to worry about, I use cheap BP pouch available at petrol pumps.

Try use low cost regular mineral based 2T, synthetic and semi synthetic won't bond with diesel and form a compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Try use low cost regular mineral based 2T, synthetic and semi synthetic won't bond with diesel and form a compound.
    As per the OP in the article, any 2-T will do, but there is no point in adding an expensive synthetic oil. They all bond together, but only criteria is that it has to have low ash content if the vehicle has DPF. If not any 2-T would do.

From one of the posts in your link
    The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.
    Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

Do not use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.
    Cheers
    Talisker
    Last edited by talisker; 05-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Roads ? No Thanks..!
    -- 2007 Trax Gurkha 4x4
    -- 2005 Sonata 2.7L V6